[Fwd: Re: [Clipart] OO.o page about OCAL]

michael meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Jun 23 07:12:27 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 13:21 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > 	Well - that's trivial in fact once you solve the minor SVG importing
> > issue above ;-) and IMHO you're wrong :-) OO.o (for good reason) uses a
> > single, aggregated bitmap/thumbnail cache for clipart - and I think
> > that's the only sane way to make clipart browsing efficient and
> > performant. Scattering files across the disk and mandating they all need
> > to be read regularly is just a really silly idea [ cf. .desktop files].

> How about a completely different approach?

	Problems with this approach might be:

	* cross-platform issues: making it work & integrate well on
	  Win32, MacOS/X - requires lots of platform specific work
	  for OO.o at least
	* toolkit decision - Gtk+ or Qt - you'll offend a lot of people
	  either way
	* multi-display / screen issues - export 'DISPLAY' only gets you
	  so far.

	And, of course you're still going to need a fairly rich interface to
get the right sub-set of types you can support out of it etc.

	HTH,

		Michael.