[Clipart] Where to install?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Jun 26 23:53:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 15:45 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net> writes:
> >
> > IMO, the way OO.o currently handled this (as of version 1.x) is a
> > kludge we would do well not to follow.  It was a good interim solution
> > for OO.o to support *something* for clipart, but it is IMO not a
> > long-term solution.
> >
> > Does the new OO.o 2.x still do things the same way?  If not, it may be
> > worth looking at how they do it now.  If they're still doing it the
> > 1.x way, I'd not bother with that, as it will obviously have to be
> > changed eventually.
>
> OOo 2.x uses exactly the same system for the gallery as 1.x
>
> >>Yes.  The question is - what forum is best?  Having some co-ordination
> >>between Gnome and KDE would be a good place to start.  I suppose this
> >>sort of thing is the realm of freedesktop.org?
> >

> > Yeah, I think so.  If freedesktop.org specifies it and Gnome, KDE, and
> > a couple of applications follow it, it should catch on and become a de
> > facto standard.
>
> We are building a collaborative area between the free graphic
> applications at create.freedesktop.org.
> We can try to get this location defined as a first project under
> create.fd.o umbrella.
>
> At this moment the two major users of OCAL images are (my guess)
> Inkscape and Scribus, and their developers are in close relationship, so
> I would expect a standard to be easily reached. If we can add GIMP in
> the mix, all major graphic application in Open Source will be covered
> and it will become a "de facto" standard.

Yeah, I think this is logical and agree that this should be the first
CREATE project IMO. Ok, first thing after this release is to get some
connections in those communities to get some of these things decided and
get CREATE going. I agree though that basically it takes Inscape,
Scribus and GIMP to make a standard at this point.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)