[Clipart] Introduction to the Open Clip Art Library

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jun 30 03:09:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 11:21 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> >
> > Also, I need general checking of the info in the writing to make sure
> > its accurate.
> >
> > Here is the info on the article: http://rejon.org/?p=68#comments
>
> Indeed, the text is pretty long, it desperately needs to be spiced-up
> with formatting (not sure if pictures are appropriate).

Yes, its a little more formal text, but I will include images I think as
figures.

> When writing such a long document is useful to create it right from the
> start, for example using headings instead of bold for chapter titles
> (just like in HTML + CSS) it will help you to generate the Table of
> Contents, change styles on the fly etc.

I did, but I think its gotten out of hand a bit in terms of talking
about so much. I need to add subsections and make it more bite sized.

My goal though was to make a master text and then cut it up into smaller
bits, or make it more general for other uses. REMIXXXXXX

> I think about a chapter about high profile users, but the Known Uses
> page on the Wiki does not have such impressive cases.
>
> > http://rejon.org/writings/svgopen2005/paper.sxw
> >
> > http://rejon.org/writings/svgopen2005/paper.pdf
>
> "The project is open because of its affiliation with the Open Source
> software and cultural movement" - I would expect here something also
> about Open Standards
>
> "various Red Hat RPM packagers" - as in the Wikipedia page you mentioned
> in the page footer: <<RPM Package Manager (or RPM, originally called
> "Red Hat Package Manager">>, so leave it as "various RPM packagers"
> (SuSe and Mandriva are NOT "Red Hat RPM packagers")
>
> "However, using the standard software licenses like Gnu Public License
> (GPL) and Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL) did not make sense to use for
> artwork, as including the previous source of all artworks in a
> composition is not always possible and the developers did not
> want to exclude a user from making money" - I don't think is about
> money, is perfectly legal to sell a CD with SVG images licensed as GPL,
> is all about of the need to opensource the larger work including clipart
> (in the case of GPL, not for LGPL) and the license being designed for
> code so not suitable very well art.
>
> "What is hidden by this form is the script 'upload_svg.cgi' which parses
> a submission and checks to make sure" - is really necessary to expose
> the internals like this? is useful for the reader to know how the script
> is named? maybe "is a script which parses" is enough.
>
> "Thanks to the Google's Summer of Code, there is funding to
> support a new developer" - I guess this also deserve a subsol note with
> a link about SoC
>
> "Another primary push that needs to happen is further interoperability
> with OpenOffice.org (OO.o)" - the usual short name is OOo (without the dot)
>
> "Daniel Carrera, donated the domain name www.openclipart.org to the
> project" - in fact Chad Smith was the one who donated the domain. Chad
> is an OOo *supporter*, but he was never really active on OCAL.
>
> "As the Open Clip Art Library lists as its motto, 'Put your clip art
> into circulation today' at http://www.openclipart.org/" - this is our
> motto? then it should be listed on the page instead of "Share Your
> Vector Graphics" :D

Yeah, I toyed with this. I guess we could come up with a good motto.
What sounds better? Suggestions please on this ;)

> minor misspellings: "cd-rom" should be "CD-ROM" and Fedora is "Fedora
> Core", not "Fedora Corea". also you keep misspelling my name :p

Thanks for all your edits again. I really appreciate it!

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)