[Clipart] Trademark issues

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Mar 5 13:16:07 PST 2005

I have moved a handful of images that I _know_ have trademarked
problems aside, rather than including them in the 0.11 release.  I may
have missed some obvious ones (or duplicate copies of some of the ones
I set aside, even), but that is not the question I have today:  the
images that we know for sure are a problem, we will find and notice as
we are working the the collection.

I have questions about a number of additional images, though, the
status of which I am altogether uncertain about.  These are the ones I
want to discuss.

Disclaimer:  I do not claim that this list is complete.

Below are listed some images that I think _might_ have a trademark
problem, but I do not actually know.  Eventually we need to determine
what their status is.  I propose that for any we determine are NOT a
trademark problem, we tag them with a keyword such as trademarkokay or
similar, so that we don't end up investigating the same things
repeatedly.  If anyone wants to undertake finding out whether these
images are protected trademarks, then we'll know what we have to do.

Images for which we need to find out the trademark status (or lack
thereof) (all directory paths are relative to the 0.11 release):

Commercial Programs:
computer/icons/applications/quake_3_icon_01.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/acroread.*

Gnome Foundation / Gimp / GTK:
computer/icons/gimp.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/gimp.*
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/gimp.*
computer/icons/gtk_logo.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/gtk.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/gnome.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/gnome2.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/gnome.svg

Mozilla Foundation:
computer/icons/firefox.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/firefox.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/mozilla.svg
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/firefox.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/mozilla.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/mozilla_mail.*

Sun Microsystems:
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/ooo.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/ooo.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/openoffice.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/ooo*.*  (The gull element is the only concern with these I think.)
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/0*.* (Also use the gull element.)
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/50*.* (The gull element here too.)
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/ooo*.* (Again, the gull element.)

Blender:
computer/icons/blender.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/blender.*
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/blender.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/blender.*

BSD:
computer/icons/bsd_daemon_logo_01.*

Gentoo:
computer/icons/gentoo-terminal-inkscape.*

KDE Foundation:
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/k*.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/k*.*

Inkscape:
computer/icons/inkscape.*
computer/icons/inkscape_icon_01.*
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/inkscape.*
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/inkscape.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/inkscape.*

Sodipodi:
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/sodipodi.*

TeX/LaTeX/LyX:
computer/icons/LyX.*
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/LyX.*

The Open Group:
computer/icons/lemon_them/apps/x.*
computer/icons/flat-theme/applications/x.*

Wine:
computer/icons/wine.*
computer/icons/etiquette-theme/apps/wine.*

Other:
computer/icons/xbill.*

We also need to determine the copyright status of redrawn versions of
Tux that clearly represent the same penguin as Larry Ewing's original;
we have quite a number of these.  Tux is not trademarked as near as I
can tell, so it is a copyright question only for those.  Penguins that
don't look very similar to Larry Ewing's tux are, of course, fine.
(Precise definition of "very similar" is left as an exercise.)