[Clipart] Malware in clipart

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Mar 15 21:36:44 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 10:52 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:37:00AM -0500, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Andrew Archibald <andrew.archibald at sympatico.ca> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > SVG can contain scripts,
> >
> > It can?
> >
> > I didn't know that...
>
> XML in general permits melding of different XML syntaxes.  This is why
> we can fold RDF into SVG.  Similarly, ECMA (Javascript), and other
> scripting languages can be merged in (given the appropriate namespace
> declarations, etc.)  E.g., for purposes of having Javascript in XHTML.
> Whether a given client actually uses that data is up to the client.
>
> The principle use for allowing ECMA in SVG is for doing a certain class
> of animations.  Another is for those silly transition effects in
> presentations.  I'd hesistate to say these are _good_ reasons for having
> scripting, but I can understand why someone would think they were
> important.
>
> In fact, in Inkscape we've had a number of requests for adding support,
> and one developer (Ishmal) has been actively working on implementing
> it.
>
> > > I know perfectly well that none of the usual applications that will be
> > > used with OpenClipart currently support scripting.
> >
> > Good.  Let's hope it stays that way.  I'm a pretty imaginative guy,
> > but off the top of my head I can't think of any valid reason for a
> > clip art image to contain scripts.
>
> Inkscape will be supporting scripting at some point in the future, so
> figuring out a procedure for handling them now would be of value.
>
> I also can't think of reasons why clip art should contain scripts,
> however I recall we have received at least one such submission - a chess
> board with Javascript program to implement playing chess.
>
> > > But there are applications that do, and it's a problem if a user
> > > gets bitten by running one of them on an openclipart image; it's a
> > > much worse problem if a user gets bitten by using one to look at a
> > > document containing an openclipart image. (Consider the following: I
> > > make an SVG company logo that includes a piece of
> > > openclipart. Someone looks at my company logo and it wipes their
> > > hard drive.)
> >
> > It seems to me that we will not have the resources to hand-examine
> > every submission to ensure it is innocuous, so (barring an
> > earthshattering breakthrough in AI research) if we take any
> > precautions at all it will have to be stripping out all scripts of any
> > kind, malware or not.  (Which, on the whole, doesn't sound like a
> > terribly bad idea to me...  feel free to jump in and explain why we
> > shouldn't do that, if you can think of any solid reasons.)
>
> Another approach could be to simply slap a keyword on it, e.g. 'script'
> or 'executable', and exclude all such images from the releases.  Then,
> if people are so motivated, they can individually review/approve them.
>
> There's four reasons for this suggestion:

> [...]

Yes, I agree with this approach. I'm adding to the roadmap. Does anyone
want to conquer this task? Andrew, would you like to conquer this one?
We should figure out how to add this to validation of SVG files once
input into the site and then again when doing a release. We should
discuss this further? Any specific suggestions from anyone on
implementation.

Please check roadmap: http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Roadmap

We are in need of some good soldiers to help with these tasks.

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>