[Clipart] Change needed for how openclipart is managed

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at gnome.org
Tue Mar 22 04:09:22 PST 2005

Hi guys,
So with some help from Bryce yesterday I looked a bit into why most of
the flags doesn't have metadata displayed on the website. I turned out
to be due to missing .txt files for most flags. So I downloaded the
latest tarball and generated the metadata anew from it. I discovered
that there where are still some flags not passing svg_validate.
I don't understand how that could be as I am pretty sure I got
everything to validate, but maybe I managed to leave some screwed up.

Anyway trying to fix this I felt once again a bit frustrated with the
way the package is developed. Fixing these issues by making new tarballs
and emails is rather unproductive and slow.

So why can't we put the clipart collection into CVS or Subversion and
build both the release tarball and the website from CVS. If if knew I
could update a CVS module by moving/removing/updating images and then do
'make www' to update the website it would be so much quicker for get the
clipart fixed. Same for the tarball, wouldn't it make releases quicker
if it was just 'make dist'? If we use CVS we could collaborate much
better instead of sending lots of mails and upload lots of tarballs and
crossing the fingers that the next release will work perfectly. I mean
it frustrates me to no end that I have been trying to get the flag
collection correct and included for what must be 4-5 months no and we
still are not there yet.

So what do you say?

Christian