[Clipart] contest to celebrate OCAL release 12

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Mar 25 01:38:17 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 01:27 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:19:34AM -0800, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > As we discussed before, I think we should have a contest to celebrate
> > our release 12 -- thx Nicu for the reminder. We should set some sort of
> > goal for a clipart submission, then pick the winner, and then give them
> > a free and nice design book (value like ~ 20-40 USD).
> >
> > Before I postulated about the types of contests we could have, but I
> > think that Nicu is right that we should have an low barrier for entrance
> > contest. Basically, we should start the contest on APRIL 1 and then end
> > it on the last day of the month. Then, we need a way to select the
> > winner and then will mail them the book. I can collect donations for the
> > book to my paypal account (phillipsjd (a-t) gmail.com) and deal with
> > purchasing and shipping the book. I guess that is if you all think a
> > nice design book is a good gift?
>
> Be careful about postage.  If the winner is in Europe, for example,
> international postage could get rather high...  A gift certificate to a
> book seller might be a more fair way to go...

Right, is this one of those globalization empowerments...does amazon
have cheaper shipping per country...do they have warehouses around the
world?

Otherwise, I really want to get something cool that is concept-driven.
Also, a good gift will draw certain types of artists out, while a gift
certificate is generally good, but might not attract certain ppl. I
think mailing a book wouldn't be that expensive... ;)

Good thinking though...

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)