[Clipart] Document::Manager 0.25

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Mon May 23 15:01:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:17:59PM -0400, Andrew Archibald wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >Taking a small jump on the way towards 1.00.  This release focuses
> >mainly on keywords.  Keywords are now mostly working; it accepts and
> >tracks keyword changes but does not yet update the original SVG file.
> >Also fleshed out documentation a bit.
> >
> >Will appear here, eventually:
> >
> >    http://search.cpan.org/~bryce/Document-Manager-0.25/
>
> So, what needs to be done before an experimental clipart repository can be
> set up?
>
> My guesses:
> (1) Performance needs to be improved.
> (2) Keyword changes need to actually change the file.
>
> Anything else? (1) worries me, as it seems likely that a program that has
> trouble at 100 images is going to need some major work to be comfortably
> fast with 3000, let alone having room for the kind of expansion we are
> hoping for.

If we're just using it for experimental purposes, the performance issues
can probably be ignored for now.  It may be good enough to play with.
Also, there is a quick hack that would solve the particular performance
problem that could be done, but I still think it can be solved properly
with a bit of creativity.

The keyword changes should be pretty easy since we already have the code
in SVG::Metadata to do this; it was just getting too late last night
else I'd have done it.

The one other thing that needs to be done is the checkout functionality
needs to be tested, and a get_clipart script needs to be written, that
retrieves the given ID's from the repo.  I think this should be pretty
straightforward too; I think it could be done by taking ls_docs and then
modifying it so instead of retrieving each document's properties, to
retrieve the document, instead (i.e., change the call to
Document::Manager::properties() into a call to
Document::Manager::checkout()).  I haven't tested checkout() in a long
time so don't remember if it works, so there may be a tad more
implementation work to do there.

Oh, and I'd also like to see someone else try out installing it.  For me
the installation works pretty well, but of course I wrote it so I know
exactly what to do!  :-) For others, it may not be documented well
enough.  I'd appreciate it if people could give it a shot and identify
places of confusion.  That'll allow me to improve the INSTALL
documentation for others.  Basically, download the code to your local
machine, untar it, follow the directions in INSTALL, see where you get
stuck, and start asking questions from there.