[Clipart] Who can do the 0.18 release?

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sun Oct 2 19:45:56 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:35:52PM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.org> writes:
> > However, even with that work there were still keywords going in that
> > I'm not sure are right.  I think it would be better if the keyword
> > cleanup could be done independently of the release process.
>
> I agree with this.  But I'm not sure how we should proceed, exactly.

Well, here's how I think it could be shoehorned in:

The release process essentially begins by downloading the previous
release's tarball package and going from there.  It would be easy to
modify the release process such that instead of starting from that
package, it starts from a collection that has been modified since the
prior release.  Namely, a "keyword-edited" collection.

At the other end of the release process, we could easily include a step
that installs this collection for keyword-editing after publishing the
final release package.

Thus, this simplifies the task down to how to perform keyword-editing on
this installed package.

Your keyword-authority script is able to perform keyword editing on a
collection of images.  I think this would be the thing to start with.
This would need to be installed on openclipart.org, but I don't think
that would be too hard to do.

Initially, we could simply have people shell into openclipart.org, cd to
that directory, and perform the commands to edit the keywords.

All of the above would be very minor modifications to our existing
processes, and hopefully straightforward to set up.

A further refinement would be to create a php script to put a nice web
interface on top of the keyword authority script.  This tool would
basically just act as a front end to allow easier operation of the
authority script.  It needn't be very sophisticated.  Maybe it could
look like this:

   Remove Keywords:        [___________]  [ GO ]

   Consolidate Keywords:   [___________]  To  [___________]  [ GO ]

Of course, there could be a lot more beyond that, but given all of our
time constraints I think the above would at least get things engaged.