[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] RE:Xara Announcement

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Mon Oct 17 03:14:08 PDT 2005

bulia byak wrote:
> On 10/16/05, Charles Moir <CharlesM at xara.com> wrote:
>
>>These are all good things. I have some issues about quality control on
>>OpenClipart,
>

> Me too, and I very much hope they will be resolved by implementing
> voting (and periodically purging the lowest-voted ones) as well as
> more wiki-like interface where I can easily upload an improved version
> of the clipart as well as add keywords to find it more easily. Some or
> all of this is, as far as I know, being planned or implemented;
> perhaps OpenClipart people might want to comment more.

 From the beginning the intention was to have ratings, the ability for
authors to improve their uploads and for users to edit metadata.
For a while Bryce worked on a Document Management System intended to
solve all this, but recently he realized the project is going nowhere
and abandoned it.
AFAIK, the current plan is to reuse a tool made by Creative Commons,
probably Rejon can give here some info.

Sure, if anyone step up and start working on a better interface, it will
be received with open hands :p

About periodically purging the lowest-voted images, I believe we are
*against* this, but *for* providing providing a selection of most-voted.

Charles, OCAL can be a good addition to your commercial offering (as it
is Public Domain): you can make a selection with what you like best,
package in whatever format and put it on CDROM along with the other
extras (the added value being your own selection/QA, packaging,
convenience and maybe a browsing/searching interface like
http://www.python.org/pypi/clipartbrowser/).
Think also about affiliation: OCAL has affiliation with projects like
Inkscape and Scribus.

--
nicu