[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] RE:Xara Announcement

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 17 13:03:55 PDT 2005

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:

> About periodically purging the lowest-voted images, I believe we are
> *against* this, but *for* providing providing a selection of most-voted.

I would tend to agree with this. Assuming, however, that "purge"
just means "move out of the main collection", as opposed to
"irreversibly delete", the difference is largely one of terminology.
Also I would qualify the above somewhat:  I strongly suspect that
certain whole *categories* of images would tend to be rated higher,
than others, by popular vote, but we would not want to have the
core "best of" collection contain only a few categories, so it
would probably be best to use a what-to-include formula that
takes into account how a given item's rating compares to the
mean rating(s) in the category(ies) that it is in.  Then a small
handful of people can give positive ratings to the two or three
really unique images in shapes/stars/ (and here I am thinking of
star.svg and estrella_01.svg) and watch the star_nnptnnstep
images' ratings drop below the mean for the category and exclude
them from the "highest rated" collection automatically.  Think
of that as a purge if you want.

For extra bonus points, the web interface could default to
showing only the highest-rated images in each category, but
include a "show all images in this category" link or button.