[Clipart] image removal

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Dec 14 17:55:27 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 11:43 +0200, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> >
> > I think bad to erase the past, but good to make sure we are compliant
> > int he present int he future, however law might have something else to
> > say...esp. since someone could still access the infringing file(s)
> > (while it is harder and or requires searching through old, but
> > accessible packages).
>
> We don't have control for a lot of 3-rd parties keeping our history:
> web.archive.org, CVS/SVN of projects redistributing our clipart etc., so
> practically is not possible to complete delete the history.
>
> The browsable interface of the old interface and ccHost data are outside
> version control, so they don't have history, something deleted is gone
> for good, only released packages may be affected and probably we don't
> do a new packaged release anytime soon.
>
> (Yep, I am against deleting the history)
>
> What the law say? For example if a portion of the Linux kernel is found
> infringing some software patents, it would be replaced ASAP, but you
> think it would be deleted from the entire history of the version control?

That is a really great question. Let's ask that question on the
cc-community list.

How can one comply with a take-down, for example, since there is a
permanent web trail through various caches, etc?

This issue came up because there was an infringing image on the Open
Clip Art Library and I deleted it. Am I evil? :)

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org