[Clipart] Copyright or Public Domain figurine?

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Mon Feb 6 23:53:07 PST 2006

Jurgentje wrote:
> on the Open Clipart Library, we've put some figurines of Domo Kun. (look at
>
> http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/toys?page=2)
>
> On your website you state that the site is copyrighted.
> Now... would you allow that specific (set of 2) image(s) to remain in
> the public domain, or do we have to remove the image from the clipart
> Library?

As the author of the two images on openclipart.org, i'll throw my two
cents: my images are made from scratch, are not copies of something from
domo-kun.com so don't infringe on anyone's copyright.
It may be argued about it infringing on Japan's NHK television station
*trademark*, but i honestly consider it as fair use (as i never saw the
Japanese programs but i was exposed to the internet joke).