[Clipart] [keithp at keithp.com: [Announce] CVS, User accounts and web services moving tomorrow]

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Fri Feb 17 14:30:48 PST 2006

Erf, looks like there'll be instability on our infrastructure this
weekend...

----- Forwarded message from Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> -----

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:51:13 -0800
From: Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>
To: Announce at freedesktop.org
Cc: keithp at keithp.com
Subject: [Announce] CVS, User accounts and web services moving tomorrow

With our new power over the freedesktop.org domain, several service
changes are happening tomorrow. Of course, the goal is to make the
transition painless for everyone, but we expect some problems...

To see what transitions are occuring, check out:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MachineOverview

and

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MigrationPlan

The big changes for this weekend involve moving moinmoin and user
accounts to a new machine, and finishing the CVS migration to another
machine as well.

That means that picking the right hostname is now critical; you will not
be able to ssh to cvs.freedesktop.org, nor will you find CVS on
users.freedesktop.org

names:
	lists.freedesktop.org		     still our mail host (gabe)
	freedesktop.org (MX)		     gabe
	www.freedesktop.org, freedesktop.org annarchy
	users.freedesktop.org                annarchy
	cvs.freedesktop.org                  kemper
	git.freedesktop.org                  kemper

Please pick the appropriate names for each activity.

You can expect lengthy outages for each service as we shut things down
to move them; CVS will be down briefly as we sync the repositories again
and switch host names. Wiki access will be down longer; we have to
convert the pages from one format to another as moinmoin has seen some
significant development since we installed our version. Mail service
should be uninterrupted.

This list, btw, is a closed list, not for general discussion. If you
want to discuss the move, please feel free to use xdg, xorg or other
freedesktop lists. Of course, if you have serious problems, feel free to
send me mail directly.
keith.packard at intel.com