[Clipart] logo

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Feb 18 03:07:53 PST 2006

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab at bright.net> writes:

> Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.org> writes:
>
> > Soo...  Assuming the .svg upload works, the next thing would be
> > ensuring there are mechanisms for downloading and browsing the whole
> > collection, like what we have now.
>
> Ah, quite so.  Hmmm...
>
> [Jonadab disappears down the hallway, speaking as if to himself...]

Say, what's this thing under the "Visitors" menu on the left, that
says "Browse Tags"?  I think if we relabeled that "Browse Image
Categories" it might be somewhat similar to what we want.  It's not
hierarchical at all, so every subcategory is shown at the top level.
One implication of that is that when importing the extant collection,
we're going to have to be careful about the names of some of the
categories, e.g., computer/games should probably become computer_games
or somesuch, because there is also recreation/games.  Similarly,
computers/diagrams should probably not come in as just diagrams.

Also, the way it shows categories with more images in them in a larger
font size is probably not going to be very sensible for a clipart
collection.  I will poke about in the Manage Site stuff and see if I
can find if there's an option for shutting that particular feature
off.

Is it possible (for site admins) to do bulk changes on keywords (or
"tags" or whatever it calls them) in ccHost after the images are in?
We can, for instance, pull up a list of everything with a certain tag,
but will we be able to go down the list and checkmark some of them,
and bulk-apply a tag addition or change to just those?

If so, we could be considerably less careful importing, probably just
use whatever keywords are in the embedded metadata.  We could in that
case probably automate this with WWW::Mechanize, once svg upload
works.  However, if we can't easily bulk-change like that, then we'll
want to be rather more careful than that and probably do the import
pretty much by hand.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/