[Clipart] Question About Release 0.19

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Feb 24 00:31:50 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:08:38PM -0800, Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form wrote:

> Name: Don Parris
> E-mail: dcparris at carolina.rr.com
>

> Is R0.19 ready yet?  I've been waiting since November.  I forgot
> about it for a while now, and looking at the site tonight, I was
> disappointed to discover it still hadn't been released.  I saw a
> comment in January saying it would be out in a few days, but we're
> nearing the end of February.  I realize fully the nature of
> community-based projects, but am hoping you can provide some insight
> or that you will go ahead and release something ASAP.

Hi Don,

Thanks for your interest, and yes you're right we've really plain old
dropped the ball on keeping up with releases.  In fact we've had some
more fundamental issues, such as a bug that causes many uploads to fail
with zero-byte files, a spate of abusers of our screenshot upload
facility, and more.

Ironically, we've essentially been a victim of our own success.  A truly
intimidating amount of clipart has been submitted, and the work of
processing it has become immense.  Unfortunately, we're also in the
situation of each month that goes by, the backlog gets larger.

Lately a lot of our energy and time has focused on migrating us to a
new, more extensively developed software called ccHost, that will give
users a much more powerful way to share and manage clipart.

Meantime, yes you're right that a new release would be very, very
valuable.  I think we just need a few people with similar interest and
time to volunteer to help make it happen.