[Clipart] Re: openclipart.org hacked? what happened???

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Feb 28 09:50:00 PST 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> again (kees) and he found that there is a one person who is basically
> trying to download our packages every 5-10 seconds which is equal to a
> DDoS attack.

You know, you would _think_ that a mature package like Apache would
have options to limit the effective percentage of your available
bandwidth that can be consumed from any given Class-A subnet, or
somesuch along those lines.  Come to think of it, isn't that pretty
much exactly what mod_throttle does?  Maybe we should look into that.

Are we really so high-profile that someone wants to expend bandwidth
doing a DOS attack on us?  I would be _very_ curious to know what
subnet that was coming from, and whether it is associated with any
entity that might have a plausible motive for this, e.g., some
commerical clip-art site.  (If so, a full write-up of the incident
could probably get us a good and proper slashdotting, whenever we
tell the story, i.e., at a time of our choosing.  Such an opportunity
should not be wasted.)