[Clipart] Does openclipart.org have invalid SVG content?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 8 08:40:05 PDT 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Gerald Ganson wrote:

> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:31:09 -0600
> From: Gerald Ganson <Gerald.Ganson at rdc.ab.ca>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: RE: [Clipart] Does openclipart.org have  invalid SVG content?
>
> What I've been doing to all images that I have submitted to the CChost
> site is drawing the images in my preffered application.

Freehand perhaps?  (I believe Freehand MXa had basic SVG Tiny export but I
an expensive upgrade is unlikely to be an option)

> Since this cannot save as SVG, I export EPS and then import into Adobe
> Ill for conversion to SVG.

Adobe supports and promotes XMP for metadata.  The last step of going
through Inkscape - although appreciated - should not be necessary at all.
Even if you have an older version of Adobe Illustrator I think there may
be some Adobe or 3rd party utilities for adding XMP to your files.

Alternatively you should be able to import the EPS into Inkscape without
needing the Adobe Illustrator step.  There may be bugs I am unaware of (or
some extension trickery not enabled on your platform) but Inkscape should
be able to import your EPS.

> I wonder if someone could script a batch process for inscape to take SVG
> files and process them into plain SVG.

I believe a few such scripts exist already (at least one in Perl, a shell
script, and I think a script in Python) but I'm not great at memorising
these things and the inkscape user mailing list is by far the best place
to ask.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org