[Clipart] RE: Requests wiki page

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 30 11:48:53 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 13:58 +0100, momo wrote:
> There is another great source of cliparts that we can reuse/convert:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Public_domain
>
> All the listed categories contain images and illustrations that are in the
> PD. Of course they are mainly photos that cannot (or should not) be
> vectorized, but there are also tons of illustrations, maps, graphics that
> can be redrawn in vectors, exported as SVG and added to OpenClipart. Also,
> we can then resubmit these illustrations to wikimedia commons so they will
> have the SVGs!
>
> What do you all think?
>
> Molumen

I think this is a brilliant use of resources. Please put this on the
wiki and lets run with it. I think that developing connections between
Wikipedia and the return on that is both developers and providing a
service to the most useful collection of human knowledge that exists
(wikipedia). Ideally, maybe we could get into the position where a
graphic is needed on wikipedia and a request is automatically submitted
to the Open Clip Art Library to be filled...once this is done, then
there is a graphic on wikipedia.

I think that wikipedia has a great focus on gathering knowledge in a
more text-based form, but we really focus on graphics and can do this
really well, something outside the direct focus of Wikipedia.

Also, I think that getting wikipedians on board is great, as we have had
such great luck with Theresa, RyanLerch and others :) :) :)

Such a great idea! We can build on the US Patent drawing and Wikipedia
public domain images. I would start for the patent images by uploading
the pd images as requests, and then making PD derivatives of these and
the same for wikipedia.

Theresa, you are probably the most decorated wikipedian here, so what
would be a good way to announce to Wikipedia that we want to hook in
more to wikipedia as a public domain/free graphics service? And, what do
you think about this?

Jon