[Fwd: Re: [Clipart] Re: clipart Digest, Vol 31, Issue 44]

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 30 21:43:26 PST 2006

Hi all, I'm attaching a thread over on Open Clip Art Library to see what
you armchair and some not-armchair legal folks think about this.

It appears that the US Patent Office requires illustrations for patents,
and these illustrations must be placed into the public domain. It is
confusing language though what is allowed from these illustrations. As
you can see, wikipedia has done some research into this, but I'm curious
what you all think?

Is this a case of who has the most money will win if one takes one of
these images and uses it, changes it, etc. It is unclear.

Anyway, the Open Clip Art Library is hopeful to find public domain
bitmap and vector graphics and get them into the Open Clip Art Library.
For the bitmap variety, we want to convert them to vectors, as with much
of the US Patent office images. What do you all think?

Jon
http://openclipart.org/cchost