[Clipart] unifying Projects - was: 3d mesh/object library

Tobias Jakobs tobias.jakobs at web.de
Tue Aug 14 14:06:29 PDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 09.08.2007, 11:47 -0700 schrieb Jon Phillips:
> I've been thinking more and more about this and am starting to come to
> the conclusion that we should unify these projects into one open content
> storage place for free content and make openclipart.org and
> openfontlibrary.org portal pages to this overall site...
>
> The more times we have these different sites, the more we have to
> maintain differen sites, lists, etc...
>
> What would you all think about this merger of sorts? We would keep the
> domains and have content portals, but overall, would use one ccHost
> installation...this way, we could just roll out different content types
> as there are maintainers for them.

What is possible with ccHost? I don't care whats in the background, but
I like to have:
 - 3 Domains (openclipart.org, openfontlibrary.org, open3Dlibrary.org)
 - 3 Startpages with 3 logos
What I don't like to have is:
 - 3D-art or fonts when I search for clipart and the other way around

If we can make that with one ccHost installation, then it's ok.

> Another thing I've been batting around is if we should allow more
> license types. I'm thinking we should allow for PD, CC BY, CC BY-SA
>
> Should we not allow for more contributors if we can get them? I've been
> thinking about this much while at wikimania...

I have 3 points we should think about:

1. Do we really need more contributors at openclipart.org? (Tat my be
different for openfontlibrary.org)

2. One of our main target group are open source projects, and they can't
use CC BY or CC BY-SA images in GPL or LGPL projects.

3. It makes it for the user (contributor and consumer) more complex.

Regards,
Tobias