[Clipart] two questions

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Wed Feb 14 22:30:53 PST 2007

Rita Laurance wrote:
> I am not a programmer- I am creating cliparts and graphics with inkscape.

And we are not lawyers, so take our advices with a grain of salt.

> I have two , I am sure, very simple questions. The first is- I created a clipart by making a drawing from a commercial photo. I didn't scan or duplicate the photo in any way- it is a free drawing, but I am wondering if the copywrite of a photo includes any and all objects within it. If they recognize this image from the photo, is it an illegal clipart?

I think the problem is like this: if your drawing is a derivative of the
original photo, then it breaks the copyright.

I dont' understand how are you creating the clipart: import the photo in
Inkscape and draw on top of it? This may be problematic. If you have the
photo on paper, look at it and redraw from scratch, then I don't know,
it may be or may be not a derivative.

> The second- I have been making cliparts and then exporting them as pngs, then I reintroduce them into another svg file with other images in it, but when I go to open the svg file, there is a big x and an error message reads that the embedded object cannot be found. Luckily, I've been exporting all of my finished work. But I have several missing embedded images in my svg files. Can this be addressed in the next svg version, or has it been- I haven't yet downloaded the new svg.

This is because when you insert a PNG into Inkscape, it is only linked,
not embedded and the red X appears because the SVG contains a link to an
inexistent PNG.
To embed raster images in Inkscape 0.45 (recently released) use Effects
-> Images -> Embed All Images

--
nicu
my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/