[Clipart] Image searcher

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Jan 28 18:44:25 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 08:33 +0000, tom whiteley wrote:
> I'm glad you like it.
>
> I know there are still improvements to be made especially on the web
> interface, I hope to do those gradually. (I've been spending too much
> time on this much to my wife's distress)

> I am sorry about the errors. Could you tell me what browser you are
> using and it's version? Also what was the error message?
>
> Javascript is a slippery beast.

Actually, I just tried now and all is well. The only weird thing is I
have to click twice to get the pen to start drawing.

> As to how it works, it would be more correct to say it has a number of
> indices. And if you don't mind for the moment at least I'd like to
> keep the algorithm a secret.

That is fine :)

> Having said that I'd be more than happy to integrate something using
> it into the open clip art library, since I don't think I could have
> done it without you guys.

Ryan, we could blog it first, right? And then, figure out how to
integrate.

> What I can tell you is that I use javascript for the
> drawing/formatting/ajax front end part of the website, and on my
> server I have a compiled python cgi script that does the actual search
> against a database of information extracted from the pictures.
>
> The search is hopefully reasonably quick, it would be faster on a
> dedicated server rather than a shared one. But the extraction of the
> information to build the database is slower, currently around a second
> or 2 per piece of clip art.
>
> So yes I'm quite happy to help out but I'm afraid I've never done any
> PHP. Also as I hinted before I'm trying not to do so much on this at
> the mo', so I hope you don't mind if I'm a little slow.
> My wife is 3 months pregnant and our 2 year old is becoming naughtier
> by the day so my time is limited, I'm sure you understand.

Ok, I totally understand. At the end of the day, its cool that you have
done this and we can blog to help send traffic your way. I guess not
vital for us to absorb all projects, but please let us know how we can
help you in your great work.

Jon

> Thanks again,
>
> Tom.