[Clipart] Searching and download graphics

Alan alan at ccnsweb.com
Thu May 17 08:30:51 PDT 2007

The more we can work with the materials already to hand, probably the
easier.  All of the graphics are already available in small bite-size
png chunks.  I'm not sure how everything is currently set up, but how
about assigning a descriptive permanent name to each png graphic which
then becomes a permanent key.  Perhaps it could be done using a numeric
sequence which is the date and time of submission and/or acceptance into
the database.  This would practically guarantee a completely unique key
for each graphic. That permanent sequence then can be attached to all
kinds of information, including search data (descriptive terms, size,
colors, author, date, whatever).  That sequence could be attached in a
local utility to a download function for png for quick local searches,
but it could also be used to define the svg download.   Your update
function in the  local utility could be used to update a text based file
or files which would update the search fields any time you wanted.
Quick downloads with easy updates to search functionality.  Your png
graphics for local search would also be quick downloads in the small
chunks.  The biggest update of course would be the first update where
the utility and the bulk of the png graphics would be downloaded.  After
that, it would be just very small chunks of updates for search fields
and added png graphics.   When a graphic or graphics is chosen for svg
download, the choices are loaded into a component of the utility which
knows to look for the svg component attached to the permanent key.

This allows complete flexibility with updating the search fields, easy
identification of graphics based on a permanent key, quick updates
locally after initial installation, offloading of search function and
storage to local system, increase of apparent speed in searches due to
local storage, redundancy should the www or the server be slowed down,
and enables the user to use the png graphics should the svg not be
immediately available.

I'm sure I've missed things, and I'm not a programmer (yet), but would
it be possible to set this up?