[Clipart] where to browse clipart images? (looking for VPN diagrams)

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Fri Nov 2 08:06:27 PDT 2007

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Since it is not available I was thinking I could download the latest
> tarball and create thumbnails (as needed) so I can browse many at a time.
>
> But now I see the Downloads webpages says "Current Releases" with "October
> 10, 2005". That is not "Current".

In a way this is "current" - it was our last formal release.

> Can someone add a note to that webpage about the status of official
> downloads/releases?
>
> Is there a way to use CVS/Subversion/Whatever to fetch the images?
>
> I don't know the backend software for the website.

The backend is ccHost

> I recall that the website was moved from the freedesktop.org server. And
> is now hosted by the Oregon State University Open Source Lab.

Indeed but we also changed the site backed, from our unmaintainable
homebrew mess to ccHost.

> Are the SVG files just stored as plain files on the server?

In a way: they are stored as files but also a database keep track of
them (IIUC).

> I see that gabe server still has openclipart data. But it is all old. I am
> curious -- will the new data be synced back to that server?

Yes, this is the goal but is a hard job to import thousands of images,
preservind the metadata and tracking the original authors.

> I was hoping I could write a script to create missing thumbnails. I need
> access to the data.
>
> I'd like to write a script to generate simple HTML with img src for every
> thumbnail for a tag/keyword. Are the tags only in a database?

I don't know the ccHost internals, but I believe the tags are only in a
database.

> Where can I get the images?
>
> Why can't the old image viewing part of the website be used?

Not sure if it is just a bug or is intentionally so to motivate us work
on importing the old images.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/