[Clipart] bulk upload

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Fri Nov 23 16:58:44 PST 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:44:48 -0700
> From: "Gerald Ganson" <Gerald.Ganson at rdc.ab.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] clipart files
> To: <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>

If someone has an idea how to bulk upload the old archive and retain
all the existing tags and authorship then I haven't seen it offered
up here.   The archive has sat there a long time without anything
being done to move it to the new site.  It doesn't seem trival when
one thinks about it.  As we have the current site set up the author
would need to either be linked to an existing "person" on the current
site or have one generated based on the name in the author field (but
under a bulk upload it would be an unverified account).  This seems
like the kind of fuzzy logic not best down by an automated process.

Given the situation I started doing some manual cleanup of the
archive.   I'm not a coder, just a design guy willing to put in some
volunteer time. Eventually I separated these into author files which
I have posted ( http://tinyurl.com/2bu2ue ).  I was encouraged to
spearhead the movement of the files to the new site by Jon.  Much
talk has gone on about this but no bulk solution offered.  Even if
one was offered that solves a lot of the issues with a bulk upload,
these files still need to be reviewed and cleaned up by some
librarian here.  As Gerald points out, a lot of the old files could
do with some cleanup, need better tags or document boundaries.  So a
lot of manual labor is going to be needed.  We librarians can upload
our own stuff and at the same time remove its unchecked status.
Anyone with admin privileges can help the work load by uploading
their old files and checking them in themselves.

I understand that a few people like Nicu have a significant amount of
work to upload.  So did Gerald.  But most of the 400 or so different
authors there have very reasonable amounts of work.  The majority
being just 1-2 files. http://openclipart.org/wiki/Authorlist I
imagine many of these people are long gone and not on this list.  I
don't know what the plan is for those people, but at some point maybe
we will have a bulk upload option and just place anything that hasn't
been uploaded by current users.

If we use the Roadmap and track who has uploaded their folder full of
files then those could easily be pulled out prior to any bulk
upload.  So I think that would help with Gerald's concern.

Related to this, Jon can we set up an admin account that is "Public
Domain" or Anonymous" so we can upload the files that have no clear
author?

John Olsen