[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] clker.com - part 3

momo at lumenstudio.net momo at lumenstudio.net
Wed Feb 6 02:24:21 PST 2008

Now that you mention it, I see google ads in Firefox, but they are not
displayed in Opera (9.25). Kinda strange...

But still this does not changes for me the fact that clker.com isn't doing
anything immoral or illegal. Cliparts are PD, thus available to anyone in
any imaginable way. They can be freely distributed, they can be sold, they
can be transformed... Anything. And no one is expected to give credit to the
authors. By releasing them to the PD the author agrees with that fact in the
first place. So we, as a community, cannot force anyone to give credit. And
nor we have the moral right to call someone's use of a PD clipart leeching
or abusing. If any of the librarians have a problem with that, my personal
opinion is that they'd better think twice before posting to OCAL then.

As for the
http://www.clker.com/blog/2007/11/20/adding-picture-to-your-wordpress-weblog/
link where clker.com explains how to embedd cliparts, I see here no problems
at all. He's giving the link, he's hosting the clipart, he's giving away the
bandwidth. He has all the rights to be credited for that. If you have a good
look at the credit line under an embedded clipart, it says "Clker.com - the
online clipart" and not "Clker.com - the creator of the online clipart".

Well, that's all I had to say and I will not further react on that matter
because it seems that they are different points of view on the moral side of
the use of PD cliparts and i respect that (but do not agree with worms
invasion and Greg Bulmash).

That said I will now go make some cleanup at OCAL :)

Molumen