[Clipart] Help with the script - was: Re: A couple of server problems

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Tue Feb 19 08:32:09 PST 2008

Hi Nicu,

Am Dienstag, den 19.02.2008, 11:32 +0200 schrieb Nicu Buculei:
> I run a find command and create a file containing all the filenames for
> SVG and SVGZ files under "people" (all its subdirectories, not the
> directory root)
> http://openclipart.org/people/filelist.txt
>
> Then I pass this as input to tar:
> cat filelist.txt | xargs tar -cjf ../downloads/daily_SVG_snapshot.tar.bz2
>
> However, the result is bad:
> http://download.openclipart.org/downloads/daily_SVG_snapshot.tar.bz2, it
> is about 36 MB in size and is truncated to the last files (a verbose run
> shows it process all the files).

I haven't tried it, but I think xargs might be the wrong choice. It may
call tar multiple times, each time with some of the arguments. This
results in a final archive containing only the last files.

You could use tar's -T/--files-from parameter to read the files from
filelist.txt

Hope it helps,
Frederik