[Clipart] Many clipart under one file entry, or separate files for separate entries?

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 00:37:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> chovynz wrote:
> > What's the preferred / best way of uploading?
> >
> > Do we upload many related cliparts under one entry like this:
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/sivvus/9497
>
> Think about the glorious future when we will have working thumbnails in
> the browsing interface... do you think the thumbnail will be of any use
> in the case above?

I don't know. Theoretically it should be possible to get a preview/thumbnail
of each single svg file. Then any link would go to wherever the frontpage is
kept. If they link to the same page (because of a file structure similar to
the above example) that would really only be coincidence.

> > Or do we put them up separately like this:
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11676
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11672
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11671
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11663
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11658
>
> I think this is the better option. It would make sense do do any
> grouping if you maybe had a color and black&white version.

Agreed.

> PS: chovynz, as you can see, in the OCAL interface the PNG thumbnails
> are resized from HTML so they have a width of 128 px, something like
> this looks (IMO) horrible:
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11672 (resizing from HTML do
> not use resampling). It would be a good idea to make the width 128px for
> thumbnails, so they look good (personally I put a 128x128 bounding box
> for almost all my uploads due to this).

Yeah, Fair enough. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the preview
either, but I didn't feel like fixing it then. I think I will go back over
my uploads later on, after or during the 0.18 uploads.

A solution I've found is to make a PNG bigger than 128, then upload it. Make
good quality png in the first place, but then that means I need to reopen
the svg in inkscape :D :D

*sigh* So much to do.

--
Cheers