[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 60, Issue 46

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Wed Mar 25 07:06:17 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:18 AM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
wrote:

From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>

> I can't comment on Obama as I dont know US Govt rules on PD and
> presidential
> figures.

First, people's own images are not copyright issue ,but privacy
issue.  Public figures do not have the same rights and thus images of
them are generally protected

> I'm not an expert on copyright, and I am not a lawyer, however I did
> study
> copyright in University on my Advanced Diploma in Design and
> Multimedia.
> About the other Darth Vader pictures, after reading Lucasfilms
> copyright
> statement I can tell you that unless they got permission to use him,
> then
> they probably are breaking copyright......I feel that maybe some of
> my comments are or might be taken the wrong way,
> so I'll clarify that now. What I'm doing is being a "devil's
> advocate." I'm
> being hard-nosed about it because, especially in America, I've seen
> people
> get sued over the stupidest little thing.

I have never heard of a case of someone being sued straight out and I
work in a field that blatantly steals images and logos for their own
purposes ( action sports like surf and skate).  The standard procedure
is to send a cease and desist letter requesting the immediate removal
of an image.  Even the most rabid copyright protectors like Disney do
this.  Nicu's image is a Nicu drawing inspired by the Star Wars
world.  No one would confuse it with the actual Lucasfilm art.  BTW,
we have actual Lucas film images here in the library - those images
were specifically placed in the PD in the USA as drawings for Star
Wars patented toys.  All images used to support a patent claim in the
US must be placed in the PD.

That brings me to the point about "especially in America" and US Govt
rules.  In the US ANYTHING produced by the government that isn't a
security issue is the property of the citizens of the US and is thus
placed in the public domain.  So many of the images here were produced
with our tax dollars and we Americans can use them as we want.  This
is very different from countries like Australia where the govt.
specifically retains copyright on all of its work.

John Olsen