[Clipart] Web standards with OCAL (+Aiki / OCAL development)

Bassel Safadi bassel.safadi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 02:27:11 PDT 2010

Hey Chovynz,

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well it's good to know we can do it right, however I think you misunderstood
> what I was saying. :)
> I wasn't blaming anyone, or rather I wasn't intending to. What I'm looking
> for is a common thread and ways forward on how to use aiki.

Sure

> @ Bassel : For CSS, how do we apply global css? I can't figure out why:
> 1) aiki is collating all the style sheets into one output based on widget (I
> mean , I can and understand why it is doing that, but can we do css a
> different way? currently it breaks the validator since there is no tag
> called "widget" and the stylesheet reference is invalid.)

this is only one way of doing css by adding it the CSS field inside
the widgets, the reason this type of css is used because it's easier
to build each section's widgets and style them in the same place, but
then when one finish building a site it's easy to move the css to
global css, but in case of ocal there was a lot of crapy css code
inside the first mockup that was imported to aiki ( like thousands of
lines ) , I totally agree with you that we should clean up the code..
to fix this we should first (hight priority) clean up the css, then
move the whole css ( automated process) to style.css ( more on this
bellow)

> 2) The *about *page has css, then *participate *has its own exact same css,
> then the other pages and div's have inline css, rather than a global css.
> e.g. <p> is defined about 10 times in the collated amount, instead of one
> parent <p> with a good style applied once.

totally agree, this is wrong and it can easily solved by moving the
whole css to one place

> 3) why are there two stylesheets in the meta?

the auto-generated style.php?widget and style.css which is actually a
widget that contains the cc, once we don't have any css inside the
widgets the auto-generated one will vanish

> 4) How can me, a "normal non-programmer" add global css to the site? Nothing
> I tried worked with *style.css *or with *global_css*. I input css code both
> into the content of the widget, and into the style of the widget, at
> different times. I was expecting the change to happen straight away. Is
> there a delay in CSS and database updating or is it instant? If it is
> instant, then something might be either broken, or I don't yet know how to
> do this seemingly easy task. (I should mention local-inline- css is fine and
> works ...sort'of.)

yes you can add to (style.css) widget but there is cache system that
need purging before the changes show up, if you have server access you
can type nc localhost 8181 then purge.url style.css*
otherwise please just give me a notice on irc or by email and I'll
empty the cache for you each time you do changes. or if you want to
work continually on that widget for one session tell me before and
I'll disable the cache for this until you finish.

> Again, I'm not blaming, just wondering how to go about "fixing" the things
> I've found, since it's not as easy as I first thought. I was surprised to
> see how much spaghetti code there is, that's where my comments below came
> from.

Chovynz we are really glad to hear your notices, and looking forward
to work with you for the good of ocal :-)

Cheers,

--
Bassel Safadi
http://bassel.ws