[Clipart] More nsfw stuff

J. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Tue May 4 09:44:59 PDT 2010

I understand your points, Chovynz, and also think something must be
done. Although I think you guys might be thinking too narrowly here --
but I will write my ideas in more details later, no time now (lunch
break!). :-)

But I have a couple of small objections to what you've said:

>Showing genital muff and organs is classified as porno.

Not necessarily, it all depends on context and presentation. The
Encyclopedia Britannica (and all medical, science, education materials
on human anatomy of the reproductive tract) could be classified as
"porn peddlers", because I'm sure they show genitals in different
states.

So, a high-schooler searching for material for a human anatomy and/or
sex ed class would have to change the filter to allow "nudity",
depending on how it gets done. Would that be OK?

>  what would you call, under US law, showing genitals, in public then?

Well, I'd hardly call this an oranges to oranges comparison either...
OCAL, being on the Internet, is definitely "public" in ONE sense, but
I see it as a very distinct usage of the word "public" than you did
there. Another usage: the public library (the physical books one out
there) is also full of mature content, or even content that is not
"mature" but to which some people object anyway and would like to see
banned (see controversy about Harry Potter books and "witchcraft", for
example). So, having genital pictures in a library (like OCAL) or
encyclopedia is not against the law (nor is it having pornography
either, as far as I understand, unless it's child porn, bestiality,
stuff like that, but IANAL), and it's hardly "public" in the same
sense you used above, which sounds like a flasher hanging out in a
playground or something.

Now, all that said, I definitely am not saying that those pics linked
here of the now infamous "naked Asian lady" are in the same context as
what I said about medical/educational material. My whole observation
was just a concept thing, and a warning against sweeping
generalizations. <irony>All sweeping generalizations are bad, eh? :-P
</irony>

> but a desire to see things grow

[insert bad joke here, given the subject of discussion] :-)

I'll send the rest of my ramblings on this subject later. Beware. :-)

Cheers