[Clipart] Oodles of broken cliparts

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:56:26 PDT 2010

Ideally, I would expect this issue will be fixed in time. It's starting to
get into a technical side which I don't understand, but as far as I do
understand I believe the problem lies in the external tool that we use to
convert from SVG to PNG. The converter doesn't read text very well, and so
makes a "broken" png file for viewing. The smaller cliparts and thumbnails
are PNG files that we see after conversion.

Why we don't just use the actual cliparts themselves, I don't know, since
the whole point of clipart is scalablity. The thumbnails keep refreshing
too, so I really can't see the point in using the svg > png converter. Just
seems like <del>double</del> triple handling and broadband waste to me,
since we have to download the thumbnail, and the detail png, AND the clipart
at the end of it. Can most browsers can handle svg nowdays? I know the four
I've tried haven't had any major problems in displaying the cliparts.
(Opera, Firefox, IE, Chrome).

Also to take into account is integration with Inkscape. Linux Inkscape has a
direct svg import from the OCAL library, so I know it affects these
decisions, but don't really know how they do. Jon would be the one to ask.

By the way, "it" hasn't necessarily been decided yet, I'm just stating what
I would like to see happen. Jon and Bassel are the ultimate drivers. I think
they listen though. :)

--
Cheers
Chovynz