[Clipart] Now down to business...

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue May 18 13:40:20 PDT 2010

Seb <sebastien.lanteigne at gmail.com> writes:

> Not exactly. A modified version is a remix. I'm more or less
> comfortable with the remix as they are. I do have 1 issue with the
> but the 'set' feature would solve it.
>
> My issue is that currently
> If  X and Y are both remixes of Z.
> X is not a remix Y.
> Nor is Y a remix of X

Here's another minor niggle with remixes: sometimes a single image is
really a remix of more than one source image, and I don't know of any
way to mark it that way currently.  For example, this image:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/58231

Is marked as a remix of the still life, but really it also includes
the paper-pad, pencil, and graphite texture from this image:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/26321

That one itself is a remix of three different items: the bird here:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/25849
and the notebook and pencil (neither of which I can currently find; I
suspect either they or their keywords never made it into cchost).  All
three were contributed to OCAL by other artists.  I don't know how to
mark the bird sketch image as being a remix of all three of those, nor
do I know how to mark the still-life sketch as being a remix of both
the still life and the bird sketch.

It's not a HUGE deal, since everything we're remixing is PD anyway, so
attribution is technically not required for anything.  But it would be
nice to have the *capability* of listing all the source images,
especially in cases where they are all already in the OCAL.
Especially since the word is "remix", not just "derived"; generally
the word "mix" implies more than one source.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library