[Clipart] accessing NSFW content

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Fri Nov 19 01:42:49 PST 2010

On 11/19/2010 10:40 AM, chovynz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>     I think is bad we implemented filtering without also providing a way
>     to turn it off, this is restricting freedom.
>
> I agree. However, I think it's better to restrict certain people's
> freedom (adults - who can choose) to protect others freedoms
> (children+Schools+workplaces when they have less choice). I still stand
> by what I said and the result.

I know your opinion on the matter, you know mine, we talked before, I am
not arguing with filtering now, I just say if we put filters we also
must allow their removal by those who want and can.

> But I'm grieved that no-one else has picked up the challenge to code the
> "simple" solution of allowing adults to see those cliparts.

My position is we should NOT add filters as long we don't also have ways
to preserve the freedom.

>     Yes, I contribute to various FOSS projects, but usually not with web
>     applications.
>
> What's your majority of strengths? Is it in graphics? What programming
> languages do you know?

My programming days are like 10 years in the past, I don't have the time
to pick-up coding again.

I can spend my time better by making new clipart or... by promoting
better my own clipart collection, which is more free (filters and license)

> Yeah that's the basic Idea I had. Although I see no need for three, but
> only one, since the NSFW is only the one option that we are currently
> hiding. What needs doing is the function to be created first, then we
> can duplicate it for other things when they come up (although I can't
> imagine what that would be applied to).

Sure, now the interface could be only a check box, "show nudity", off by
default. But based on past discussions, a change of the database better
would have in sight future expansions, for things like religion/occult,
weapons etc.