[Clipart] CC Zero and Policies and DMCA

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Sun Nov 28 22:56:27 PST 2010

Hi all, I think we should switch the site to use CC Zero for waiving the
rights of uploaded cliparts. This is a tool by Creative Commons that gets
public domain to work internationally. Its effectively what we are doing by
releasing content into the public domain. This older tool is now deprecated.
See the link at the bottom of all of our pages:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

My recommendation is that we should switch to CC Zero for all contributions
to the site:

http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/results?license-class=zero&name=&actor_href=&work_title=&work_jurisdiction=-&confirm=confirm&understand=confirm&field1=continue&waiver-affirm=affirm

The older tool we used from Creative Commons now covers works that are
already in the public domain, and this is skewed towards countries that have
a concept of the public domain, like the United States.

http://creativecommons.org/choose/mark/

So, I go back to CC Zero:

http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/ which is now considered the CC0
Public Dedication Tool.

Lets switch before our next release.

Also, part of my tasks for the next release is to put a policies page and
DMCA up for OCAL. I tried to effect with the CC0 change and then some other
things learned from the CC site. Ifyou have questions or concens, please
bring them up. They are just drafts for the policies and DMCA pages.

http://openclipart.org/policies

http://openclipart.org/dmca

http://rejon.org/
http://fabricatorz.com/