[Clipart] found this while surfing

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Mar 8 10:49:04 PST 2011

chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:

> but we can be nice about it. I believe in second chances, so this is
> a matter of education. If he doesn't know what PD is we can educate
> him, so that he only uses PD.

We can certainly try.  And even if that fails, we can just require his
contributions to be reviewed and approved by a librarian, rather than
banning him entirely.  (Complete banning would be warranted only in
the case of deliberate or malicious abuse, IMO, which is almost
certainly not what's going on here.)

> (It is a very complicated subject and very easy to confuse.

I wouldn't have thought so, but apparently it is, because...

> Many many people think CC-BY is the same.

It seems there are even quite a few people who think the GPL is the
same as public domain, which is obviously wrong on so many levels I
scarcely know where to start, but it's a fairly common mistake.  On
occasion I've even run into people who think gratis for non-commercial
use (like, say, the MSIE license) is the same as PD, not to mention
the people who still think nothing is copyrighted unless the Library
of Congress has received two copies of it (a notion which is based on
a kernel of truth but is nonetheless clearly wrong as a whole).
There's a lot of ignorance out there about copyright issues.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library