bus limits

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Aug 15 14:36:48 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 15:27, Colin Walters wrote:
> > If someone wants to try coding this, it should be fairly simple; you
> > just need to not read any more data from a DBusConnection while that
> > connection is at a max limit. I guess it should be OK to _write_ data
> > to the connection? If so that would help with the deadlock thing.
>
> I'm not sure I understand - isn't the problem that the bus is refusing
> to make more outgoing method calls because they would require pending
> replies?  So in that case we have to block on writing to the connection,
> not reading from it?

You are just looking at it from the other direction. If app A reaches a
limit because it's sent too many messages without processing replies,
then the bus could stop reading messages from A, but continue to write
messages out to A (which may well be the replies).

The limit is on messages sent from A that have not been replied to.
Because each such message has a timeout error allocated, until the reply
comes through from the destination app, or the timeout occurs.