Accessing remote devices

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:07:00 -0800

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 02:17:54AM +0100, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the library used for retrieving e.g. pictures
> (could be gphoto) run locally on the thin client, or are you suggesting
> that it runs on the terminal server?
>
> It seems you are suggesting the former, I think that I've read somewhere
> that the SunRay system does the latter by encapsulating USB traffic in
> TCP, UDP or something.

I've heard rumors of this too.  I think it was a desperate attempt to
get sound devices working on the SunRay for some odd reason.

I would _never_ suggest that anyone do such a horrible thing.  The USB
protocol is bad enough...

> HAL does stores the type along the the property, and there is indeed a
> GetAllProperties() method to avoid multiple round-trips.
>
> For the full API, see
>
>  http://freedesktop.org/~david/hal-0.2/spec/hal-spec.html#AEN140

Hm, interesting, the spec has gotten better.  I guess it's time to join
the mailing list and lurk to make sure things remain sane from a Linux
kernel perspective.  :)

greg k-h