[patch] direct service connections

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Nov 4 00:00:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 02:36 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:

> In
> that case it seems like we actually want *two* session buses.  One which
> is solely for inter-application IPC that runs on the same machine as the
> X client, and one for hardware interaction etc which runs on the X
> server side.  Ug.

Or more generally, one "master" session bus running on the same machine
as the X server, and one "local" session bus per X client host.  The way
this could work is that an app which wants to use the
DBUS_BUS_SESSION_LOCAL could send a org.freedesktop.DBus.GetLocalBus
request to the "master" session bus, and then connect to that address
for doing local IPC such as Imsep.  The app itself could spawn the local
session bus if it doesn't exist, and send the new address back to the
master bus, along with the hostname.  Would need some work to avoid
races and such, but should be doable.