Questions ad using GDBus instead of libdbus (Re: Fwd: Re: Race condition in send_with_reply_and_block()

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Wed Jul 24 08:24:31 PDT 2013

Hi David,

On 23.07.2013 20:15, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM, rony <rony at wu.ac.at> wrote:
>> Can GDBus be used without a message loop?
> To the extent that you don't need callbacks, yes, GDBus works fine
> without the application/process running a GMainLoop. For example,
> g_dbus_connection_call_sync() will work but g_dbus_connection_call()
> won't. Listening to D-Bus signals, exporting objects etc. only have
> variants that requires callbacks so you can't do any of that
> obviously. But, yes, just doing a method call works great - and it's
> an often needed for feature for e.g. command-line tools and other
> one-shot applications that don't use a message loop.
Well, I would need to have a full implementation, including implementing objects on the bus in the
scripting language which itself is multithreaded (easy to emply by ooRexx programmers). So this
would mean that a maiinloop integration would be a must.

> FWIW, this is the same with libdbus -
> dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() does not require mainloop
> integration.
>
> In fact, if you're curious, the ability to do this was a requirement
> when I designed GDBus. IIRC it was also a requirement Havoc had when
> he designed libdbus.
>
>> What infrastructure is needed to be able to run GDBUs on AIX, Linux, MacOSX,
>> Windows? Are there maybe stand-alone packages for installation on these
>> systems (and for the Windows world, maybe precompiled binaries)?
>> What do you expect GDBUs' lifetime will be (how long would it be developed,
>> maintained)?
> The same as GLib.
>
> I would talk to the people who use GTK+ (say, the Gimp developers) on
> Win32/OSX for packaging / precompiled libs / binaries. For the
> non-Linux Unices, things should just work.
So there is a need to carry along the gtk+ runtime library on all systems then.

Thank you for your answers and insights!

---rony