[Fontconfig] Getting reasonable fonts for languages other than the current locale

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 27 03:23:58 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 07:53:25AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> The idea is to first sort including FC_LANG, then pull off the head of
> that list until all of the languages in the pattern FC_LANG are supported.
> Then, re-sort the remaining elements ignoring FC_LANG.  Return the whole
> list.
>
> The result will be:
>
> 	1)	Strongly bound family names
> 	2)	A minimal set of fonts as required to support FC_LANG
> 	3)	The rest of the fonts sorted according to the <alias> entries
>
> Comments?  Sample code?

Seems reasonable, and sounds like it would solve my issues.  Thanks for
working on it.

I'm still a little confused why both your suggestion before involving strong
binding and Owen's suggestion didn't seem to work as I expected-- both
caused apps to prefer Japanese fonts for everything, including Roman
characters.

This sounds like it would have the behavior I want, which is also what I
got using your other suggestion together with unsetting the locale.  Would it
be possible to override the default language obtained from the environment
variables?  As a temporary measure, I'd like to tell fontconfig to ignore
the locale and leave the desired language as unset so that your other
suggestion will work.

John Thacker