[Fontconfig] Aliases

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 1 18:13:44 EST 2004

Around 3 o'clock on Apr 1, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:

> As far as I understood this issue, it started out with a request to be
> able to list the font names that an application can "ask for" without
> being turned down.

No.  That capability is already very well supported.  That let's people
say "if an application asks for 'Times', please use 'Timmons'", it does
this in a way which doesn't expose 'Times' in the list of fonts that
applications place in menus, which allows people to avoid trademark
problems.

If an application says "I have the Times font available" when it really
means "I have a font that looks just like Times available", that represents
a clear trademark infrigement.

So, it's nice that we have this ability to do sensible font substitution
without forcing people to violate trademarks like the XLFD mechanism does.

However, it would *also* be nice to allow people to add names to
application font menus and have those names directed at sensible
substitutions.  Then we could add things like 'Sans-Serif' and have it
displayed in application menus without having special application kludges
everywhere.  Of course, this capability would let people add 'Times' to
their application menus without really having the 'Times' font, but that's
not something we should even try to prevent.

This mechanism could be as easy as a list of family names which would get
returned whenever an application requested the available families;
figuring out how that semantic would work will be a bit tricky as the
listing semantics really only deals with "real" fonts that have files and
character sets and the like.

-keith