Should HAL expose firewall events?

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Tue Dec 7 08:21:10 PST 2004

Should firewall events, specifically outbound connection requests, be exposed
via HAL?

I was thinking of programs like ZoneAlarm under Windows - when configured to,
they can notify the user of a program attempting to connect to a network
resource via a popup from the toolbar.

Since the Linux kernel has the ability to perform outbound connection filtering,
would it make sense for there to be a module that would be notified by the
kernel when a program first attempts to access a network resource. Then HAL
could notify a user-space UI program that would ask the user about the access.

Of course, the other side of this question - the question of how the user
allows/disallows access and how that information makes it back to the kernel
would also need to be answered - and perhaps that answer would preclude HAL
being in the loop at all.

I'm just trying to start discussion here - I am not (yet!) looking at doing
anything about this until folks have thought about it.