Should HAL expose firewall events?

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Tue Dec 7 09:28:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:21 -0600, David D. Hagood wrote:
> Should firewall events, specifically outbound connection requests, be exposed
> via HAL?
>
> I was thinking of programs like ZoneAlarm under Windows - when configured to,
> they can notify the user of a program attempting to connect to a network
> resource via a popup from the toolbar.

My gut reaction is that HAL isn't the place for this.  It doesn't seem
to map well onto the device-and-property model that HAL exports, and the
events are probably a little too rich for the standard (again,
device-centric) notifications that the HAL daemon sends out.

I do think it'd fit well into a policy piece with a similar
architecture.  Perhaps something like Red Hat's NetworkManager.

Joe