HAL and PPP interfaces

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Dec 8 20:08:32 PST 2004

Hi,

Sorry for jumping a bit late into this thread,

As others pointed out PPP networking interfaces doesn't really have
anything to do with hardware per se; IIRC you may even do PPP over a
TCP/IP connection (which may be backed by a real Ethernet interface or
it may be backed by only the loopback interface. Or even another
PPP/TCP/IP interface :-).

The reason hal knows about 802.3 and 802.11 devices is that this is an
inherent feature of that physical hardware. Which is nice as e.g.
NetworkManager, who deals with networking, knows that only eth0 and eth1
represent physical connections and e.g. tun0 doesn't.

To me, it seems like having to talk PPP over a serial line to a PDA is a
requirement for the PDA-sync program. An implementation feature, really.
And in that case, I think it's perfectly fine to have a hal device
information file stating this. Then the PDA-sync program, or library,
can bring up ppp0 (or whatever it will be called) when it sees such a
device.

Cheers,
David