PDAs in HAL (Was: Plans for hal 0.5.x)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Dec 16 17:11:49 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 03:31 +0300, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 16:45 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > > That's just what I do right now. However, the specifications for
> > > properties that go into PDAs should be discussed further, but in general
> > > this is ok.
> > OK, I committed this; it looks like this
> >
> >  http://people.redhat.com/davidz/pda-usb-serial.png
> >

> I would also merge some property like "pda.platform" to see whether we
> have a Palm/Pocket PC/Symbian/whatever PDA. Speaking of different
> PDA-specific properties, what else should go there? Also, does it make
> sense to have specific properties for each PDA platform, like
> "pda.palm.foo" or "pda.pocket_pc.bar"? If not, how should we deal with
> important properties that are applicable for a certain PDA platform
> only?

This certainly makes sense, and is in part point of hal - to provide a
single place to merge information that cannot reliably be extracted from
the hardware. I guess the definition of said properties as well as
the .fdi files will emerge when desktop level applications starts using
adopting this framework. I'm afraid I personally don't know enough about
PDA's to say how it should be structured - ideas are welcome.

David