Scope and Using devices

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Wed Jun 2 01:54:51 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 19:26, Joe Shaw wrote:
> So what we were thinking is that SetProperty would exist basically as it
> does today: a means for callouts to set properties as necessary, but
> that it'd have no real effect on the daemon's operation.

Actually, I've always been a bit confused regarding the SetProperty
methods in the org.freedesktop.Hal.Device interface. Why as an ordinary
client, for example, would I ever want to call them? Would it not make
more sense to move these along with RemoveProperty to
org.freedesktop.Hal.AgentManager? e.g.:

void RemoveProperty(string udi, string key)

Otherwise this is confusing two different uses for Device objects. If we
were talking about SetProperty actually affecting the interface, on the
other hand, then it would make sense (since SetProperty would be the
symmetric opposite of GetProperty).

Cheers,
Owen