[patch] remove wireless support

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Thu Jun 3 05:33:57 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 13:56, Kay Sievers wrote:
> I don't think, the border should not be the physical hardware. Volumes
> are independend devices, regardless of their place on the system.
> I think HAL should do device discovery only to the point the device is
> classifiable and it can create a unique identifier(udi) to store
> system(fdi), user(capability attributes) and config values for this
> device.
> HAL should also be able to merge the system/user device data if the same
> device is discovered in a different location or if more than one
> identical device is discovered. MAC adresses, serial numbers or volume
> labels are great for this job.
> HALs polling for media changes falls into device discovery, only the
> polling for the network link state is now a grey area.

You argue that these category 3) properties should stay because they're
useful for what we want to do with HAL i.e. device discovery. Well, I
argue that the wireless properties are also valuable for that same
reason.

> If we want a OS independend interface for wireless networks, someone may
> define a api for it and make a new abstraction library, that uses hal to
> discover the devices and possibly reads HAL config values, and provide the
> glue between the systems lib and the new abstraction library.
> This way applications can use this new library to be OS independent and
> HAL doesn't bloat with APIs for all possible classes of devices.

I'm not advocating the use of HAL as the be-all and end-all for wireless
networking (although I admit I was leaning that way before Mr. Love
started yielding his persuasive influence :)). I just think that
whatever universally common properties of the device classes that can be
read should be made readable through HAL. It will make so many
auto-select cases much easier to implement (e.g. choosing network
profiles (but not configuring and activating the network profile - yes,
leave that to better suited tools)).

Cheers,
Owen