[patch] remove wireless support

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Fri Jun 4 11:08:54 PDT 2004

Hi,

On my way home from work today I started thinking about why I seem to
disagree with everyone else. Then I realised maybe it's just because the
problems I envisaged HAL solving for me are just a little different from
most people's. While, for the C programmers there's already a whole host
of libraries to find out stuff about things but it's just difficult to
figure out which things. I came here because my problem was that I was
using mono and I couldn't find out any stuff or things! (To be precise I
just wanted to know when whether a CD was in the CD-ROM drive or not)
Then, HAL seemed to be the perfect fit. It had a D-BUS interface and I'd
already wrapped D-BUS plus and from the description I thought it could
answer all my device inspecting wishes.

Now, I really do appreciate the desire for any project to try to limit
itself to solving only one class of problem. The thing is, though, that
if I was going to solve this device setting reading in an
OS-independent, language independent way, I'd use D-BUS and make an
interface that looked pretty similar to HAL's. Not because I'm a
plagiarist but because I honestly think it'd make the best solution. So,
from my point of view, it really makes sense for HAL to just widen it's
umbrella just a little (the problem classes really are so close) and
fulfill this need rather than have two pretty similar systems which
overlap on a hell of lot of things.

Anyway, I'll shut up and let you all enjoy the weekend now ;)

Cheers,
Owen